THE HISTORY OF THE BUILDING
Our beautiful building was built by Richard Todd Wilson (mayor of Dundas from 1891-1892) in the 1860s. It is most known for its original purpose as the former Dundas Curling & Skating Rink. Between the years of 1923 and 1932, 65 Hatt Street was home to the Highway King Bus Line, using the building as a garage for their buses. From 1933 until 1974 it manufactured a multitude of things including crinoline boards and ringer-rollers for washing machines. In 1974 it was purchased by Valley City Furniture for storage and upholstery until 2012 when Shawn and Ed purchased the building.
THE RENOVATION PROCESS
Renovating a building that is almost 150 years old comes with many challenges. There was fire damage, countless structural issues, no plumbing, and no updated electrical, just to name a few. The entire renovation process took one year to complete. We ran into countless issues which caused delay after delay. But, now that it’s completed we are happy to say that we were able to restore the building to its former glory and now have a state-of-the-art brewing facility inside it.
THE PRODUCTION EQUIPMENT
Here at the Shawn & Ed Brewing Company we don’t take short cuts; we do things the right way. From the building to the brewing equipment we strive to make everything about our brewery the best that it could possibly be. Our brewing equipment was purchased in Italy and took the long trek across the Atlantic until it was finally installed in its new home at 65 Hatt Street. Our equipment includes a fully automated brewhouse, two 40hL fermentation tanks, and four 80hL fermentation tanks.